Office Manager & Executive Assistant
Prepared On: 03/16/2022
Reports To: Executive Director
The Office Manager and Executive Assistant works closely with the Executive Director to ensure that business operations run smoothly. The position provides support to all administrative team members collaborating on successful execution of performances, special events, marketing, development, outreach, engagement, public relations, and functional day-to-day operations. The position assumes the responsibility as a primary point of contact for various publics who interact with the South Bend Symphony through in-person interactions, on screen, or over the phone.
In the midst of its 89th season, the South Bend Symphony Orchestra is the region’s only professional orchestra and is committed to engaging the community in all it does. In addition to being recognized by the National Endowment for the Arts and other state and local arts funding organizations, the South Bend Symphony Orchestra is the recipient of the Community Foundation of St. Joseph County’s 2019 Leighton Award for Nonprofit Excellence, which recognizes the best-run nonprofit organization in St. Joseph County, Indiana.
The work culture at the Symphony is one of independence, personal responsibility, and high job satisfaction. Co-workers are self-motivated and stay because they are respected and appreciated, and they believe in the Symphony’s mission.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Provides administrative support for the Executive Director and Music Director as needed to include scheduling meetings and appointments and coordinating travel.
- Manages communications in the office, i.e. answers phones, responds to voice messages, updates phone menus with relevant production information, signage for general office closures, inbound and outbound mail correspondence, and managing email accounts.
- Coordinates with Bookkeeper to make bank deposits as required, code invoices, and pay bills on time.
- Serves as office liaison related to landlord, business insurance, medical insurance, and outside vendors. Contacts vendors when technical support is needed such as photocopier maintenance and IT needs. Maintains and manages office supplies and relationships with vendors.
- Assists administrative team members (primarily marketing and development) as approved by the Executive Director.
- Communicates regularly with board member committees and supports the Executive Director with board member and donor communications and prepares for board meetings by determining locations and providing meeting documents (in advance and on location) and hospitality items such as water and snacks ensuring a welcoming and appreciative environment for all meetings.
- Provides general administrative support such as preparing and updating internal documents as required and furnishing reports.
- Assists with the hiring of new employees as appropriate by identifying candidates, screening candidates, scheduling interviews, and follow up communications as appropriate.
- Coordinates regularly scheduled weekly staff meetings.
- Performs general clerical duties such as preparing board member meeting packets, managing correspondence, scanning/printing/copying/faxing.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
One to three years of similar or related experience.
A college degree or equivalent experience is required.
Work involves extensive personal contact with others and is of a personal or sensitive nature. High emotional intelligence is a must, as is the ability to work well with others.
Excellent organizational and editing skills; technology skills including Microsoft Office Suite (required), database management, SurveyMonkey, Google Suite, and others are highly preferred.
The South Bend Symphony Orchestra offers competitive salary, health benefits, generous paid time off as well as paid holidays.
This role requires some nights and weekends for concerts and donor events. If interested, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.