THIRD HORN – Pay: $106.57
41 Minimum Guaranteed Services.
SECOND TROMBONE – Pay: $106.57
41 Minimum Guaranteed Services.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 7/28/23
To register for auditions, applicants should send a resume, position of interest/position sought, and a $50 refundable deposit check to:
South Bend Symphony Orchestra
127 North Michigan St.
South Bend, IN 46601
If a position is awarded to a current member of the South Bend Symphony, the resulting vacancy may be awarded to another candidate.
South Bend Symphony Orchestra 3rd Horn Audition Repertoire (Aug 2023)
Beethoven – Symphony No. 6, 1st horn
Mvt 3, m. 132-161
Beethoven – Symphony No. 7, 1st horn
Mvt 1, m. 421-end of mvmt
Brahms – Piano Concerto No. 1, 3rd horn
Mvt 1, m. 199-215
Brahms – Piano Concerto No. 2, 3rd horn
Mvt 1, m. 188-198
Mahler – Symphony No. 1, 1st horn
Mvt 2, from 4th bar of reh. 13 to TRIO (4th bar after reh. 16)
Mvt 4, pickup to reh. 6 through 4 before reh. 9
Symphony #5, 3rd mvt, 1st horn part (not corno obligato part)
Shostakovich – Symphony No. 5, 1st horn
Mvt 1, low tutti reh. 17 through 1 after 21
Strauss – Rosenkavalier Opera
From Opera: 1st horn solo, 2nd act, 4 bars before reh. 32 for 8 bars
3rd horn solo, 2nd act, reh. 35 for 2 bars
1st horn: Act 3: Schneller Walzer at 8 before reh. 247 through reh. 254
Strauss – Till eulenspiegel, 3rd horn
Solo, 13 bars before rehearsal 29 through reh. 32
South Bend Symphony Orchestra 2nd Trombone Audition Repertoire (Aug 2023)
All 2nd trombone parts, unless otherwise noted
Solo: Ferdinand David, ed. Rob Müller, Mvt. 1, reh A – D
Berlioz, Hungarian March (6 measures before 4 – 2 measures after 5)
Brahms, Symphony No. 4 (E – F)
Bruckner, Symphony No. 4, Mvt 4 (E – 8 measures before F)
Hindemith, Symphonic Metamorphosis, Mvt. 2 (Q – T)
*Mahler, Symphony No. 3, Mvt 1 (13 – 17)
Mahler, Symphony No. 5, Mvt. 2 (24 – 25)
Mozart Requiem (Süßmayr) Tuba Mirum (measures 1 – 34)
*Ravel, Bolero (10 – 11)
Rimsky-Korsakov, Russian Easter Overture (M – N)
Rossini, William Tell Overture (C – 9 measures after D)
*Saint-Saens, Symphony No. 3, Trombone 1 (Q – R)
Strauss, Also Sprach Zarathustra (50 – 51)
Strauss, Ein Heldenleben (60 – 74)
Wagner, Die Walküre, Ride of the Valkyries (3 – 3 measures after 7)
*1st trombone part
Sunday, August 20, 2023
THIRD HORN (1 position)
Monday, August 21, 2023
SECOND TROMBONE (1 position)
Cancellations must be received 48 hours before scheduled audition date in order to receive deposit back.
- Effective July 1 of each year, the Association will reimburse musicians who drive, and reside between 21-150 miles of South Bend, 60% of the IRS business reimbursement rate issued January 1 of that year, for one round trip a day. No mileage will be reimbursed for travel within a 20-mile radius of South Bend, or if a musician resides less than 20 miles from South Bend. For musicians who reside more than 151 miles from South Bend, mileage reimbursement will be capped at 540 miles per cycle, excluding the 20-mile radius from South Bend, except when a musician’s services are scheduled on non-consecutive days and the musician elects to return to their legal residence.
- Mileage will be computed from the musician’s residence to the venue.
- If a musician who qualifies for mileage reimbursement stays overnight in the South Bend area, that musician will receive a per diem of $17, commencing the day that follows the first rehearsal of the cycle and concluding with the day of the final service of the cycle, for each day the musician stays in the South Bend area. If a musician is required to be in South Bend to perform services before 5 p. m. on the day of the first rehearsal, the musician shall also receive per diem for that day.
- On double service days that are held at any location other than the Morris Performing Arts Center, musicians not receiving per diem will be provided with either a meal or a $8.50 meal allowance.
- Musicians who reside more than 40 miles from South Bend will receive reimbursement of up to $70 for hotel expenses for each evening the Musician stays in the South Bend area. Musicians may choose housing provided by the Association in lieu of reimbursement. Payment for reimbursement will be made only upon submission of receipts. The Association will make its best effort to secure a discounted hotel rate.
- Travel reimbursement, as defined above, will be capped at a maximum of $280 for concert cycles of four (4) days or less and $70 for each additional day. Travel reimbursement for touring (see Article 2.20) will be negotiated by the Association and the Union.